Monday, August 6, 2012

Amigurumi (Crochet) Elephant

Have you heard of Amigurumi?  If you are a crocheter you probably have, and even if you aren't you might be familiar with these cute little animals.  

Amigurumi is the Japanese craft of crocheting (or knitting) little stuffed animals.  It's Japanese entomology is ami=crocheted or knitted and  nuigurumi=stuffed doll.  (Wiki has a good article about Amigurumi!)  Technically speaking, it mostly consists of single crochet stitched in the round.  

My wonderful husband gave me a book of Amigurumi patterns as a gift not too long ago.  So far my favorite thing that I've made is the Elephant.  He's just too cute!   

I really enjoyed this project.  The pattern was long, and I did find it easy to forget where I was--so stitch markers and a pencil are necessary!

I highly recommend Easy Crochet Critters!  The patterns are well written and easy to follow.  Any difficult or unusual stitches are clearly explained. 










I will be linking up at a variety of awesome link parties!  
I keep track of buttons on this page.  Here are the direct text links to this week's specific parties:

Inspire Me Monday, A Round Tuit, I Made it Monday, Crafttastic Monday Link Party, CraftOMatic Monday, What's in the Gunny Sack?, Make it Great Monday, Make it Yourself Monday, Take a Look Tuesday, Craft and Tell, Terrific Tuesdays, Tip Toe Thru Tuesday, Show Me What You Got, Handmade Tuesdays, One Project at a Time, TOO Cute Tuesday, Cowgirl Up, Will Craft for..., We Did It! Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday, What We Wore Read and Made, Show & Share, Made by Me, The Creative Spark, Wow Me Wednesday, Time for a Party, Inspiring Creativity, Will See it Wednesday,  Whatever Goes Wednesday, It's a Party, Wow Us Wednesday, Let's Bloom, A Crafty Soiree, Show Off Your Stuff, Hookin Up With HoH, Creative Juice, Blog Link Party, Things I've Done, Catch a Glimpse, Chic and Crafty, Friday Favs Party, It's a Hodgepodge Friday, Flaunt it Friday, Kitchen Fun and Crafty Link Party, Shine on Fridays, I {heart} Fridays, Fridays Unfolded, Do Something Crafty, Friday Fun Party, Financial Friday, Live Love Laugh     


Check it out! 
DIY Tutorial
Check it out!
Check it out!

26 comments:

  1. Sooo cute!!! I wish I could crochet!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one of those things that is very intimidating at first, but once you get past the beginning hurdles its pretty simple. Give it a shot! :-)

      Delete
  2. I second that... Maybe I need to learn. My oldest loves elephants. Pinning this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooooo CUTE!!!! I love to crochet but amigurumi has never been a strong point for me.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Stitch markers and a pencil to mark up the pattern were key for me. :-)

      Delete
  4. That is adorable! I have crocheted some things but I'm not sure I could do anything THAT complicated!

    Budget Earth - Kid Friendly Vegetarian Cookbooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shh! Don't tell, but it isn't as complicated as you might think! :-)

      Delete
  5. i love elephants, and this one is so cute!

    Hope you have a great week! Drop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Cute - Great Job! I have been taking a short break from amigurumi. I think it is time I start making them again. Your ami elephant is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too Cute! I've been keeping my eye out for an elephant amigurumi crochet pattern as my son's girlfriend likes elephants. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this little elephant. I have been wanting to try amigurumi, but have been intimidated. I'd love to have you link this up to my new link party, Eat Make Grow: http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-blog-hop-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet is this little elephant. I wonder if there will be more cuties added to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. visiting from someday crafts. This is very cute! I'm not a crocheter but I've been trying to convince my sisters to make me some of these cute things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Newest follower here. Found you through the fine craft guild's linky party. Please check our my blog. I created it for handmade artists. There is a page to put a link to your shops, blogs, and certain items you've made. I'll be reading your lovely blog too.
    Thanks,
    Jacque
    http://www.hopesanddreamsstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute little elephant! Great work!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love it!! so cute! elephants are one of my fave animals!!! thanks so much for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, she's adorable!!! Found you at Bloom Designs party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute! Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is too cute! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! Be sure and grab a featured button when you link up this week to I Made It! Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is ADORABLE!!!!
    i would love for you to drop by our linky party over at live love laugh to share this with all of us
    xx hope to see you soon
    http://live-love-laugh-interiordesign.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog today! Come stop by and grab a featured button :) http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/08/your-whims-wednesday-72-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love reading each and every one!