Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I Knit a Baby Sweater! (Including a Link to the Pattern)


I've only been knitting for a short while, but I really have been wanting to try to make a sweater.  I must admit, while I really wanted to make one I was rather intimidated.  Nancy, who can be found at Of Wool and Loveliness, suggested that I start with The Baby Boy 5 Hour Sweater.  After looking the pattern over I decided to take the plunge!


Before I even cast on a single stitch I read through all of the comments on the Ravelry page, which I would highly recommend to any beginner.  This really helped me to understand what was going on in the few places where the pattern was a little unclear.  I also looked through a lot of the completed projects and blog posts.


This sweater pattern does not include instructions for buttonholes.  I did know that before I started, but since it was my first sweater I did not want to try adding anything to the pattern.  There are quite a few people who made this sweater and left notes on how they added buttons, so if I make this sweater again I  will add buttonholes.


This is probably more a critique of my knitting than of the pattern, although other knitters had the same issue, but the pattern claims to be size 0 - 3 months and my sweater is clearly larger than the other little baby clothes I've been washing lately.

Other notes: This sweater is worked from the top down in one piece.  (Very clever construction, if you ask me!)  I was able to use only one set of circular needles. Also, another critique of my knitting, it certainly took me longer than five hours to complete.  I'm a newbie knitter though, so I can't hold that against the pattern!

I have to say, I'm a little bit proud of my first sweater!  It looks like a sweater, it should be able to function as a sweater, and I made it!


(Of course, Catherine has now requested that I make her a purple sweater.  If you have any little girl size 4/5 sweater pattern recommendations, I'd love to hear them!)

Tell me about the first sweater you knitted!  Was it for you?  Or for someone else?  Did you (or the recipient) like wearing it?


Follow on Bloglovin 



As always, I love sharing my projects around the web at places like these and Hookin on Hump Day and Fine Craft Guild!


14 comments:

  1. So cute! Can't wait to see Porcupine modeling it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great job! Love the color and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This little sweater is darling!!!! Wish I knew how to knit. I can only crochet. Love your blog. Following on Bloglovn! Come visit me sometime.
    Lisa
    http://www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable sweater, You did an awesome job. I wish I knew how to knit that good. I try but always end up with a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I think it is so cute. I am going to put that pattern in my queue.
    My first sweater was a little baby sweater. I cast it on about three months after i taught myself how to knit. It was a Lion Brand pattern. I knit it for my nephew. My sister-in-law loved it and she put him in it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first baby sweater I made had intarsia letters, ducks, and stars. I didn't know intarsia was "supposed" to be hard. I just jumped in and did it. Now, the gauge was off and the finishing was less than stellar, but it looked and worked like a baby sweater. Don't ever be afraid to try anything. It really is just one stitch at a time. I love the Garn Studio site for kid's knits. They have such cute designs! http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/category.php?id=2

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would never know that you haven't been knitting for very long. This looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your baby sweater is so adorable! I'll be giving it a shout out. Wow I'd never of know your newer to knitting. Such pretty knitting work! Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is too cute! Looks like it would be an easy knit {my favorite kind!} Stopping by to let you know that you've been featured at Nap-Time Creations weekend features! Thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire! I've spread the word all around social media, would love a reshare or two :o) Please grab a button from my footer if you don't already have one. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I just finished this exact same sweater - also my first sweater project - and it took me more like 50 hours! I had some problems with the stich counts in the pattern - probably my fault - but it finally worked out. Mine is pumpkin orange and I think I'm going to make one toggle style button closure with a loop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely baby sweater! I love this pattern!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Featured this one as my Philosopher Favorite in the Yarn Fanatic Party #38. It's super cute Rachel!
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love reading each and every one!