Thursday, April 19, 2012

It's Craft Fair Time Again!

My table at my first craft show--after some things sold.
I will be a vendor in my second craft fair in just a week and a half.  I consider my first one a success--I had a great time, met local crafters,  and made enough money to cover fees, materials, plus a little extra.  Even with the first craft show under my belt I am a little nervous about this upcoming show.  This one is quite a bit larger and is two days long.

THE STUFF 
I feel that I have a decent amount of stock--I've been pretty busily crocheting various items lately--of course, there are a few more things that  I'd like to make.  I have slowly been going back through everything to make sure there aren't loose threads anywhere, nothing is bent or smudged, etc.  I want everything to be perfect!

THE SPACE  
I am (hopefully) borrowing a table(s) from my in-laws.  I still am having trouble coming up with a (super cheap and good looking) way to utilize vertical space.  Luckily, I do have an indoor space reserved, so I don't need to worry about tents, tarps, and such.

THE EXTRAS 
I've put together a plan for business cards.  I am also making price tags and signage this week.  So far I do not have a big sign with my name on it--a common blunder according to Chris--so I should work on that.  (Maybe another project for the Sizzix?)  I did add my info to the back of many of my note cards this time, something I didn't do last time.  I was looking at bags on ebay--I thought a cutely decorated bag could be a nice touch--but wow, ones that can be decorated are expensive!  I don't think that I am ready to make that kind of financial commitment.

EVERYTHING THAT I AM MISSING
I've been scouring the internet for applicable tips and helpful information.  I am sure that there are things that I am overlooking and these are potential pitfalls.  Keeping that in mind, here are some questions for you:

Have you participated as a vendor in a craft fair?  How was your experience?  Do you have any tips that you'd like to share with a newbie?  What did you wish you knew ahead of time?  If you had to be there by yourself how did you manage basic human needs (i.e., eating without being rude to potential customers and restroom breaks)?  As a customer, what where things that drew you to a particular booth?  What were things that turned you away?

Check out these awesome places where I link up!

15 comments:

  1. I've been a vendor (not crafts but other business conventions) and also a craft fair shopper.
    1-I agree you need a sign. An easily legible sign.
    2-Business cards really help with repeat business.
    3-Make friends with whoever is in the booths next to you. You can watch for each other while you run to the restroom, bring each other a coffee, etc.
    4-Make sure all your stuff isn't just thrown on the table. I might walk by a crochet table because it all looks like just yarn and I've got something else on the brain. If however you have it set up neat and clean and I walk by and see gorgeous scarf hanging there, I will probably stop to look at it.
    5-At least put a sign that says something about Craft Fair pricing. Even if it is just a small percentage off normal pricing people will think they're getting a deal.
    6-Wear comfortable shoes. You want to look cute, but you'll be standing until you want to fall over.
    7- Even if you're busy talking to a customer, when someone walks by, smile. Always look approachable.
    8-If you do custom work, put up a little sign that says that too. Even it is a $2 plastic frame and a piece of paper inside, they'll read it.
    Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful tips! I really appreciate you taking the time to write all this down!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I've never done one before but always wanted to! So glad to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never participated in a craft fair so can't offer much advice. You sound like you are ready! Good luck! Thank you for sharing at my party! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linknig up at the Sassy Sunday Party! I have only done a couple of craft fairs and had fun doing them - but since most of my work is custom, it's hard to justify all the inventory required to 'fill' a booth up. I think you have to have a good amount of inventory to make your booth look like it's worth stopping by! In your case, I would try to find ways to display your items as they might be worn - give people ideas about how they migt use them, etc. in your display itself.

    Have fun - I always meet great people at craft fairs!

    Have a great week - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post! I have never done a craft show before. However, I look forward to it.

    PS: I look forward to seeing you this week at Show Me What You Got Tuesday's @ ODH via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/live-linky-party-11.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck at your craft fair!! When I had a stall, I made up simple tote bags from old curtains and ironed our logo and website address onto them. People really liked that - a cute reusable bag for free with their purchase - and free advertising for me!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute stuff! You've been hard at work! Thanks for stopping by Wani's World!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! Have you ever considered making your own bags from newspapers? That's what I use for smaller items but I'm sure you could do the same for larger things too. I just make a square/rectangle, glue the edges, and trim it with scalloped edged scissors. Looks even better with foreign language newspapers~

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much for linking this at friday fun party.. I have never participated in a craft fair but wow this sounds like something to look forward to, since I have a lot of handmade stuff at home and I need to update it, I should consider doing something like this..
    Good luck with your second round of craft fair.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've only done 3 craft shows and they've been around Christmas so we used a Christmas tree to display our merchandise, but my suggestions are that you find a bookshelf or neat case to display your stuff. We found a great vintage suitcase that doubles as our display and carrying case:) We've also put boxes under the tablecloth to add dimension to our display. Here is a link if you want to see our display
    http://sewdutchsisters.blogspot.com/2011/11/alaskan-christmas-bazaar.html

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you the best of luck with your craft show! it's been a long long time since I've done one! Thanks for sharing it with us at tip toe thru tuesday! Hope you'll stop by and link up tomorrow too, we will be having a nice Mother's Day giveaway!
    Kim
    tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love reading each and every one!